40 lbs of baby back ribs

Started by car54, August 21, 2007, 06:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

My grandson will turn 12 on Labor day. I plan on buying a case of ribs from Sam's for $2.88 a pound. A case is about 40 lbs. I am on vacation this week so I will smoke them over 2 or 3 days and then freeze them.

Because of the amount of ribs and time off from work, I decided to put in a circulation fan. I will post a picture later.

Brad

kiyotei

I've been thinking about putting in a circulation fan as well to help make the heating more even through out the smoker.  What type of fan did you install?  I've been thinking of buying an old oven convection fan.

car54

kiyotei

car54

It's 5:30 AM and the ribs are in the smoker. The 40 lbs of ribs turned into 49 lbs at a cost of $141.00. A total of 18 racks.

Here is a picture of the mounting bracket for the circulation fan. The main piece is 1.5 x 0.5 aluminum that I had at home. It seems very stable.

Brad

SKSmoker

uhm, I think we need pics of 18 racks of ribs. Crikey! :P
Lead by example

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

I've done 9 racks, and see how Giz did 12 at one time.

Did you do all 18 racks at once?  inverted rack trick?  What was you technique?  And the number one question: any pix?
Consiglieri

Tiny Tim

I believe he means 18 racks of ribs from the pig, on the (up to) 12 available smoker racks.  Not sure though...would like to see how to accomplish the third rack on each shelf if that was the case (18 smoker racks).

kiyotei

I ordered the fan motor and 2 blades and they arrived today.  I'm looking forward to installing it before the weekend and then of course trying it out.  I'll keep ya posted.