What's your favorite side dish for smoked food?

Started by Smoking Duck, May 30, 2008, 03:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

I'm in the kitchen right now, heating up some spareribs I smoked last night and preparing one of my favorite side dishes for meat and I got to wondering what yins guys' favorite side dishes for smoked meat?

Mine (albeit rather simple) is fried red-skinned potatoes.  I simply cube them, put them into a frying pan with a stick of butter, dice some onions and garlic, enhance with sea salt and ground pepper.  Plain and simple but delicious.  I used the smoked garlic I did 2 weeks ago in this batch so I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

What's your favorite side dish?

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tiny Tim

westexasmoker

Gotta love those fried taters! Homemade tater salad, baked beans, pinto beans, scalloped taters, coleslaw, hominey casserolle, green bean casserolle, twice baked taters, deviled eggs....I gotta quit I'm getting hungry   ;)  And if you smoke it with mesquite there's your perfect side dish   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

A napkin / paper towel.

Adult Beverage.

::)

Seriously, though, Polenta is pretty popular here, and a garden salad.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Just plain old taters cubed kind of small, lots of diced onions, salt, pepper and then fry until golden brown.  Onion actually gives it a sweet taste.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Wildcat on May 30, 2008, 04:57:14 PM
Just plain old taters cubed kind of small, lots of diced onions, salt, pepper and then fry until golden brown.  Onion actually gives it a sweet taste.

It sure does, Cat.  You ought throw in some fresh garlic in there as well.  It's about the only side dish at our house that the family fights over.  Course, I cook it, so I get to taste test quite a bit before the family does  :D

La Quinta

I am partial to Corn on the cobb...(not smoked) but smothered in garlic butter...wrapped in foil and rolled around on the grill until it get's just slightly carmelized...even medium carmelized is good...but you're in the kitchen...hmmmm...hubby is a baked bean guy...in the kitchen...I'd go with your pots dish...or a nice veggie risotto? With parm/romano...1/2 and 1/2...you know what I mean...

Smoking Duck

Risotto is awesome......made some the other night.  My wife loves it, so I used it as a bargaining chip, if you get my drift  ;)

La Quinta

Dear God...unfortunately I do know what you mean...:) risotto is all it takes...you are a lucky man Giggles...:)

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

West Coast Sausage Maker

Corn on the cob or baked beans for my side dish

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 30, 2008, 05:40:22 PM
Risotto is awesome......made some the other night.  My wife loves it, so I used it as a bargaining chip, if you get my drift  ;)
and for my dish on the side.....
Risotto instead of foreplay hmmmmmmm.   I think I'll give it a try......20 min of foreplay to me is like 20 min of begging. ;)
soylent green is people

La Quinta

DG...nuff said...TBS...cast iron man...be careful...we know where to find it in the middle of the night!!! :)

Smoking Duck

Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where George tries to intermingle his two loves:  food and lovemaking?

"I find pastrami to be one of the more sensual meats"

Pretty appropriate for this forum, don't ya think?

And LQ, anything I can do to skip the appetizer, if you will, and get right to the main course is a bonus  ;D  After all, who wants to fill up on the sideshow when they can get more of the main attraction?

;D ;D ;D

La Quinta

There are so...so...many ways to answer that Giggles...fortunately for all...I remain Cheesy and silent!! :)

pensrock

BEER and more BEER!  ;D ;D

LQ, you have that smoked cheese soup perfected yet?  ;D
Just kidding do not be mad.... be happy!  ;D