What's your favorite side dish for smoked food?

Started by Smoking Duck, May 30, 2008, 03:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

I could actually make it now with all of the smoked cheese I brought home from the Gizmos...or...just throw a piece of cheese in the smoker here...and put a bowl under it!! Add some cream...maybe some seafood...would be quite lovely!!! :)

pensrock

Thats right Giz did set you up with a bunch of smoked cheeses. How is it? Do you have a favorite yet?  ???

La Quinta

Gotta tell ya...the pepper jack is choice, and the horseradish cheese... is freakin awesome...Colby is killer...(not a fave of Giz) but I dig it...Geez...I tasted so many cheeses...I can't remember...one had olives and Sundried toms in it...that was great...heck...they were all to die for...truly...

pensrock

Horseradish cheese is one of the favorites for the people I smoke for, the next would have to be a good sharp cheese.

Gizmo

The mixture was great "in a " - carne asada smoked cheese quesadilla
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Kool...thanks Giz...nice tip...got "kids" for 2 weeks coming up...on Thursday...need all the help I can get!!! They want "American" food!! :)

pensrock

LQ, I'm not sure what kinds of smoked chese you have but one of the most popular I make is a sharp american cheese. It is really great but when made into grilled cheese sandwiches, its the best. Kids love grilled cheese. I prefer it with a thick slice of Habs bacon in addition to the smoked cheese.

La Quinta

I should clarify the "kids" thing...let's see...my step daughter is 3 years older then me...as is her hubby!! But they would probably like smoked grilled cheese sandwiches anyway!! :) I know I would!!! :)

Smoking Duck

Quote from: La Quinta on June 01, 2008, 05:54:49 PM
I should clarify the "kids" thing...let's see...my step daughter is 3 years older then me...as is her hubby!! But they would probably like smoked grilled cheese sandwiches anyway!! :) I know I would!!! :)

This sounds too much like West Virginia for my liking  :D :o

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Consiglieri

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 30, 2008, 05:15:13 PM
Quote from: Wildcat on May 30, 2008, 04:57:14 PM
Just plain old taters cubed kind of small, lots of diced onions, salt, pepper and then fry until golden brown.  Onion actually gives it a sweet taste.

It sure does, Cat.  You ought throw in some fresh garlic in there as well.  It's about the only side dish at our house that the family fights over.  Course, I cook it, so I get to taste test quite a bit before the family does  :D

Isn't garlic like the oil in the pan (you don't cook without it)?

I like ranch beans, cornbread with just about everything cooked outdoors.  Grilled corn on the cob is good too.  Grilled Zucchini brushed with garlic and olive oil is also good. 
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Consiglieri on June 02, 2008, 11:44:21 AM
Isn't garlic like the oil in the pan (you don't cook without it)?

No doubt, my friend, no doubt!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

iceman

Smoked ranch style beans, a good slaw, rosted garlic slathered on toasted french bread, ice cold beer. ;D

hillbillysmoker

Hands down. Wicked Baked Beans with pineapple and bacon.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

chrispy

It all sounds good!!  I would have to say my favorites are roasted baby red potatoes with lots of onions,garlic and olive oil.  Also homemade potato and egg salad.  (can you tell I am a carb freak?)  Unforuntatley I am on a diet most of the time, so I can't have it, but I make it anyway for my wife, daughter and the neighbors!  This is making me hungry.....

Chrispy

beefmann

garlic mashed potatoes and corn on the cobb heated in the  smoker with the husks removed buttered up  wrapted in foil and  cooked in smoker  with the meat  at 20o - 220 ..for 10 to 15  ears takes about an hour to cook them  through... though im running a 900 watt  heater... 500  watt  id say 90 minutes