What's your favorite side dish for smoked food?

Started by Smoking Duck, May 30, 2008, 03:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I go through fads. Right now my favorite side dish is Syracuse Salt Potatoes; which I know my doctor will not be happy with.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 05, 2008, 02:11:54 PM
I go through fads. Right now my favorite side dish is Syracuse Salt Potatoes; which I know my doctor will not be happy with.

;D  Do you think there is anyone on this board who has a dr that is happy with them?

Habs - what are Syracuse Salt Potatoes?

Habanero Smoker

Come on Deb; being so close to NY you should know what Syracuse Salt Potatoes are. :)

Very simple to make, but very addictive.

Ingredients:
3 lb. Whit or red new potatoes, or Baby Yukon gold (or your favorite variety of small potatoes - golf ball size or smaller)
8 C. Water
14 oz salt (non-iodized)

8 T. unsalted butter
2 T. chives
ground black pepper to taste

Thoroughly wash potatoes and leave the skins on.

Place water in a 5 - 6 qt dutch oven or 5 -  6 qt. stock pot and bring to a boil. When water is boiling add salt and stir until all salt is dissolved.

Add potatoes and cook for 20 - 30 minutes; until the largest potato is easily pierced with a fork.

Drain potatoes and transfer to wire rack set over baking sheet. Let dry until a salty dust forms on the skin, about 1 minute.

Microwave butter, chives, and pepper in medium bowl until melted, about 1 minute. Transfer potatoes to serving bowl and serve, passing butter at table. Or you can pour the butter over the potatoes and toss.

What you end up with is the creamiest potato you have ever tasted. They don't absorb that much salt, so the dusting of salt that forms on the outside is just right. They are equally good hot or served at room temperatures.

The reason for so much salt is to bring the boiling point of water up to 228°F. This what makes the texture of the potato so creamy. I prefer to use the baby Yukon Gold potatoes, but small white potatoes are traditionally used. I've also mixed all three varieties in one batch. Also it seems you can't over cook the potatoes. I have cooked potatoes ranging in size from golf ball to the size of a nickle in the same batch and they all came out perfect.

Believe me this is a must try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Habs,

That looks awesome!  I'm going to have to try it. 

I have only been here for a few years,  I spent the bulk of my life in NH. 

Thanks,
Deb

Wildcat

Interesting approach Habs.  I'll give that one a try.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I forgot to mention what ever you do, don't peel or cut the potatoes prior to cooking. If the flesh is exposed to the salt water it will suck in the salt like a sponge.

Deb,

I was only joking with you. A lot of New Yorkers don't know about Syracuse Salted Potatoes, unless they attend the State Fair. My mother use to make them when I was a kid. A company used to sell kits with the small potatoes and a bag of salt. A recent article in Cook's Country magazine reminded me of them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

Our Favorite around here is Creamed Corn not sure where I got the recipe from but it is AWESOME!! great for a take along dish as well.

Creamed Corn

2 lb frozen super sweet corn, thawed and drained
As much love as you can spare
1/2 stick butter, cubed
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/8 to 1/4 cup whipping cream
2 to 3 ounces of cream cheese, cubed
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Puree some of the corn to act as a thickener. Add all ingredients except the salt and pepper to a pot and slowly bring up to a low simmer, stirring occasionally. Once the cheese has started to melt, lower the temp and allow the corn to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add sugar as needed to suit your sweet tooth.

This can be cooked in the oven in a casserole dish or for real large batches use a crock pot.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bflosmoke

Hey Habs you spell potato like Dan Quayle (man I miss him) But salt potatos are sure big in Buffalo and I love them. But believe it or not I  love my Q with homemade mac n cheese.

beefmann

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bflosmoke on October 20, 2008, 06:50:31 PM
Hey Habs you spell potato like Dan Quayle (man I miss him) But salt potatos are sure big in Buffalo and I love them. But believe it or not I  love my Q with homemade mac n cheese.

And I spelt mine without a "Cue Card". :)

Dan Quayle was trying to spelling the singular, the plural is spelt with an "e". But no matter how you spell it; it all tastes great when you cook them. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

schneep

Corn on the cob, with a little butter, cream cheese, parmeasan cheese, and some Zaterians cajon seasoning,   ooooooh boy it's good!!
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 06, 2008, 03:02:24 AM
Come on Deb; being so close to NY you should know what Syracuse Salt Potatoes are. :)

Very simple to make, but very addictive.

Ingredients:
3 lb. Whit or red new potatoes, or Baby Yukon gold (or your favorite variety of small potatoes - golf ball size or smaller)
8 C. Water
14 oz salt (non-iodized)

8 T. unsalted butter
2 T. chives
ground black pepper to taste

Thoroughly wash potatoes and leave the skins on.

Place water in a 5 - 6 qt dutch oven or 5 -  6 qt. stock pot and bring to a boil. When water is boiling add salt and stir until all salt is dissolved.

Add potatoes and cook for 20 - 30 minutes; until the largest potato is easily pierced with a fork.

Drain potatoes and transfer to wire rack set over baking sheet. Let dry until a salty dust forms on the skin, about 1 minute.

Microwave butter, chives, and pepper in medium bowl until melted, about 1 minute. Transfer potatoes to serving bowl and serve, passing butter at table. Or you can pour the butter over the potatoes and toss.

What you end up with is the creamiest potato you have ever tasted. They don't absorb that much salt, so the dusting of salt that forms on the outside is just right. They are equally good hot or served at room temperatures.

The reason for so much salt is to bring the boiling point of water up to 228°F. This what makes the texture of the potato so creamy. I prefer to use the baby Yukon Gold potatoes, but small white potatoes are traditionally used. I've also mixed all three varieties in one batch. Also it seems you can't over cook the potatoes. I have cooked potatoes ranging in size from golf ball to the size of a nickle in the same batch and they all came out perfect.

Believe me this is a must try.

Habs - are you going to put these on the recipe site?   Making them again tonight.

Habanero Smoker

Sure. I can do that. Everything is already written up, it will only require a little formatting. I'll try to get it posted by tomorrow evening. I have a few other recipes to put on the site, but this month has been hectic.

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and happened to go by their canning section. Well they were trying to get rid of their canning supplies, and they were selling Ball's pickling salt for half price 2.5 lb jars for $.75. I took six of them, all they had remaining. So these potatoes will be on my menu a few more times. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Thanks Habs.  No hurry.

Also thanks for the Walmart tip.  I'll have to check my mine.  I think I looked for pickling salt there already but maybe not.  I haven't been able to find it when I remember to look.  I was lucky to get kosher salt today - the grocery store only had two boxes left - I bought them both.