What's your favorite side dish for smoked food?

Started by Smoking Duck, May 30, 2008, 03:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Ya can't beat the price I get on salt..... Free!  8)

My son works at a salt plant... anything I want for free, even sea salt. It's usually in damaged bags/containers or misprints on them.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Yet another reason I like you........you fish for walleye and get free salt.  Man, I gotta get a life like that  ;D ;)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 23, 2008, 02:50:01 PM
Yet another reason I like you........you fish for walleye and get free salt.  Man, I gotta get a life like that  ;D ;)

Ya... If a guy could only make a living at it!  ::)  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 23, 2008, 02:47:00 PM
Ya can't beat the price I get on salt..... Free!  8)

My son works at a salt plant... anything I want for free, even sea salt. It's usually in damaged bags/containers or misprints on them.

Mike

You can't beat that price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 23, 2008, 02:55:14 PM
Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 23, 2008, 02:50:01 PM

Ya... If a guy could only make a living at it!  ::)  :D

Mike

I believe some do.  An acquaintance of mine from some time back does.  His name is Kevin Van Dam, but he fishes for bass.  Not that I mind bass, but for eating, my money's on walleye.

Smokin Soon

Gotta be beans here. I like to mix black eyed beans and pinto beans up with some leftover rib meat, canadian bacon, belly bacon or whatever you have. Into a slow cooker with chopped onions and whatever spices you like. The beans really soak up the smoke flavor after a while.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 23, 2008, 05:09:47 PM
Gotta be beans here. I like to mix black eyed beans and pinto beans up with some leftover rib meat, canadian bacon, belly bacon or whatever you have. Into a slow cooker with chopped onions and whatever spices you like. The beans really soak up the smoke flavor after a while.

I like to mix some pulled pork with baked beans and let them sit in the frig overnight.  Lets the smoke flavor permeate throughout the beans and then just heat on the stove.  It's extremely easy and everyone raves about the best baked beans they've ever had. I make sure to add some bark as well. Kinda feel guilty for taking credit for really being nothing but lazy  ;D

La Quinta

Smokin Soon that sounds delicious!!! Like the marrying of all of those flavors together...very simple...yet clean and really tasty! Sometimes the simplest dish you put together...comes out the best!! Thanks for the post!!!  :)

Smokin Soon

LQ, if you are cooking for a crowd, beans with smoked goodies is a winner. I started this when cooking Saturday lunch for 25 or so. Now I get more requests for my beans than smoked goodies.

Habanero Smoker

The recipe for Syracuse Salt Potatoes is now on the recipe site.

Syracuse Salt Potatoes

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

La Quinta

I have to ask Habs...could you adjust the salt and use bigger Yukons? Or would that be necessary? Little baby golds are not that prevelent here except in high end markets...I have a bag of say (generally) baseball size pots (Yukon Golds)...

Just curious as to why the potato size is very specific in the recipe (other then the amount of salt???)

LQ

Habanero Smoker

I've never tried using larger potatoes. The salt would not have to be adjusted, unless you are using more water. The salt/water ratio is to obtain the 228°F boiling point. You may have to adjust the time, because you would need to cook until the largest potato can be easily pierced with a fork. I believe you will still achieve the creamy texture, but loose the balance of flavor the salt and the skin lends to this recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 25, 2008, 02:34:41 AM
I've never tried using larger potatoes. The salt would not have to be adjusted, unless you are using more water. The salt/water ratio is to obtain the 228°F boiling point. You may have to adjust the time, because you would need to cook until the largest potato can be easily pierced with a fork. I believe you will still achieve the creamy texture, but loose the balance of flavor the salt and the skin lends to this recipe.

It might be worth a try just for the creamy texture.  The salt/skin flavor is good but the creamy texture is the best part IMO. 

Smoking Duck

Hey Q.....the size potatoes I used were between golf balls and baseballs.  They turned out extremely well.  I would like to try the smaller ones as well to see if there was any difference.  They do have the smaller ones here as well but are expensive and I cannot justify the price with money really tight. 

SD