2d Hand Lions

Started by Consiglieri, July 11, 2008, 11:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

Well, I'm younger than a few and older than a few here.  I have some grilling and barbeque skills that I'm proud of, but wouldn't claim equality with quite a few here.  But one thing I can say with confidence:  I am probably the oldest first time father posting on this site (at least I hope you guys didn't wait this long).  I let myself get way comfortable in my single habits before I met Miss Right.  On top of that, we spent quite a few years getting used to being married before we had kids, and I got even further set in my ways.  I was a few weeks shy of 42 when the boy was born, and man did I wake up to realities that I didn't knew existed, but mostly in a good way.  Can't say I wouldn't like a vacation from responsibility every now and then, but wouldn't want a world without my son.   Long of the short of it, I wouldn't change my present life, but really enjoyed the old way too. 

But this week I get to regress. ;D  The stars are shining on my decadent past.   Chips are falling in such a way that one of my college buddies who has been hiding out in Texas for years will be visiting.  Luck is such that our other partner in crime will be heading down Route 99 and available to visit.  I'm calling my insurance broker and upping my coverage.  Thursday and Friday I get to spend time with my best friends from college, and their families. 

I'm looking forward to a thorough celebration and hope to do something nice for the guys, but also for the families (to encourage more of these get togethers).  I feel like a hippy at the harmonic convergence.  Thanks to a recent posting from a Texan, I learned the word Pachenga, and I think the term might be appropriate for this get together. 

I'll be working most of Thursday, so it'll be a grill night.  If the stars really line up, I'll be golfing in the afternoon with at least one of them, and be mostly sober enough to drive home.  If history is any guide, any deficient BAC will be remedied in short order.  A fresh crop of mint is in, and i think mojitos will be on the menu.

I think we'll have enough people to roast a marinated NY strip on the grill and hope it turns out well.  If the farmers will cooperate, I'd also like to grill some locally grown corn too.  Other sides are tbd. 

Friday, I want to smoke some ribs, but want to keep the menu (and clean up) pretty simple.  If you guys have any suggestions, please pass them on.  Need to keep the wife smiling so that these events aren't a rarety.

Because one of the visitors is now a Texan, I'll make a point of avoiding all types of mesquite.  Apple, pecan, maple and other subtle smoke flavors.   We left coasters like to corrupt the rest of the country.   ;D 

If we're really ambitious, the ice cream maker will be put to use at some point, especially since we have freshly grown strawberries available (assuming we can keep them out of the blender). 

These visits are too few and far between, so thanks for the opportunity to rant.

Cheers.

Consiglieri.
Consiglieri

La Quinta

Absolutely Brilliant Consigs...as we say in SoCal...."Go Baby Go"!!! Have a fabulous time...really kool!!

FLBentRider

Sounds like a great recipe for a good time.

My ribs make a war zone out of the kitchen, can't help you there.

I've made AB's french vanilla ice cream, you have to make up the mix a day ahead, it uses a ton of eggs, but it is awesome.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31228,00.html
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

This is a really nice post Consiglieri, it sure sounds like you'll going to make this a memorable occasion. Good luck and enjoy your reunion.
FLBentRider hit the ice cream on the head. AB's vanilla is a great recipe. I usually add a couple or 3 tablespoons of peach preserve to it to give the vanilla a helping hand. The preserve doesn't make it peachy tasting as long as you don't add too much.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Mr Walleye

Consiglieri

Sounds like you guys are in for a great time.

Last weekend when I decided to try KyNola's "Jan's Rib Rub" recipe it was late in the day for getting started on ribs to have for supper. Here's the shortcut I did. I rubbed the 4 racks of ribs down as the Bradley was preheating. As soon as I had the rub on they went into the smoker for 3 hours of hickory at 230 degrees. Once the smoke was done I threw them in a tin foil roaster with a shot of AJ and covered with foil. I then put them on the BBQ, keeping the foil roaster in the middle of the grill where I had the 2 centre burners turned off. I had the two outside burners on high and this maintained a temp around 300 degrees although I don't know how accurate the thermometer is on it. I left them on for 1 hour & 45 minutes. Next opened up the foil, threw them directly on the grill and sauced them. Total time was about 5 hours and they were fall off the bone tender.

The best part was I never entered the kitchen with them until I sliced and served. Also, because the ribs were only in the smoker for the 3 hour smoke the clean up was minimal and done before the ribs hit the table. In my case it was the time factor I was looking for. Normally I do ribs over about an 8 hour stretch.

Anyway, I just thought I would share that with you.

Have a great time!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement.  Hope the event lives up to the hype. 
Consiglieri

West Coast Kansan

Great Post,   ;)

I sense party ahead. 

For easy clean up I would suggest doubling the number of trash cans ( most trash will end up close) positioned around the property to help create more confined debris field. :(

We usually would hang a sheet up a few feet away from the main gathering area for the guys, you can go pee behind the sheet without really breaking the cadance like going inside NOT to mention saving the swimming pool.  :o

You could pre inflate some air cushions and old blankets - once it starts to get dark throw them out on the lawn - reduces the expectation that people will sleep in the house where children are located and projectile disgourgement is easy to deal with when using a garden hose vs carpet cleaners.   :P

You should make your bfast drinks ahead of time - OJ, Vodka, tomato juice with tobasco... with a little sunrise...this is useful to celebrate survival and the juice helps reconstitute - warm bacon fat with lots of black pepper will help those with the greatest damage rebound, just a cup or so will do (you may have to repeat the treatment two or three times but it calms the stomach and allows injestion of other fluids needed for rehydration.  :)

If you have large trees in your yard placing tables, kids toys - anything at the base of the trunk helps reduce the attraction to try to climb.  It seems there is always one climber in a crowd.  :-[

For safety, try to eliminate glass.  Keep pictures ic cold in an outside fridge and buy a keg to tap.  The pictures will allow you something to count something - cuz everyone needs a goal - no cans or broken glass.

I hope this helps... enjoy 8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Consiglieri

WCK, sounds like you've hosted a few barnburners!  I sure could have used those tips for my 4Oth b-day.

We'll only have three families, and maybe some neighbors.  With a motorhome parked out front on a Thursday night, and some outdoor music, I want to build some good will.  I don't expect a full on riot, but I imagine the boys will find room for a few extra bevarages.  The only disturbance I expect is the late night calls to those who should be with us, but aren't.  Don't know why that always seems to be a good idea, but I'm sure the SOBs on the other end deserve it for some reason.   ;D

If history is any guide, we'll spend the first 45 minutes acting like adults, and then devolve to our 20 year old selves, telling the same stories that have made us laugh for 20+ years.  Except that it'll hurt more and longer the next day.  I think we'll fry up the bacon in the morning and fry some potatoes in the fat (hidden delivery system). 
Consiglieri