Pizza!!

Started by deb415611, October 21, 2008, 04:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck36

For those who use the high gluten flour, do you have to special order it?

I have been to the major grocery stores and even hit the specialty grocers but have had no luck.

Stargazer

Im not sure about the high gluten KA flour, but I do know from calling KA to place orders in the past, only certain flours go out on the store shelves. Many others are order only thru KA such as many of their varieties of rye.

They have a very friendly customer service and have deals on shipping if you order so much 'in weight' at many times.

Also, ask for a seasonal catalogue. They make for nice wish lists with many things they only sell directly from their company such as cookie and brownie mixes.

Hope this helps.
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

deb415611

The KA Sir Lancelot in smaller quantities is only available from King Arthur not at the retail level - I think they sell in a 3lb bag.  I buy mine from a restaurant supply store that sells to individuals on a cash & carry basis.  I haven't purchased any for awhile but when I was buying it the 50lb bag was about the same price as 9lbs purchased by mailorder. I figured that even if I gave 1/2 of it away (which I usually do) I was still ahead. 

I can't think where I read this but I think some people have purchased it in a bulk bin - I'm thinking an Amish store?? 

Stargazer

I just remember awhile ago, when I got heavy into baking and turned onto King Arthur flour, calling to make an order and asking if they knew of any local stores they distributed, being the stores around me only carried a few of their products. This is when they told me over the phone many of their quality products can only be purchased through them at KA.

However they are extreamly friendly.

As for an Amish store, I wouldn't be surprised due to the quality of KA.

I am just currently mad at King Arthur flour company atm because I went to make a winter goodie purchase and they stopped selling their coconut macaroon brownie mix  >:(

Hey, thats an idea... hickory smoked fudge brownies  ;)
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Buck36

Thannks for the information. The select products is what I have been finding, I can get all purpose flour without any problem but the high gluten flour has been a bust.

Is it worth it for pizza dough to buy the high gluten directly from King Aurther or will all-purpose give you a quality crust as well?

Habanero Smoker

If you are making a large order, it is worth it to order from King Arthur, but shipping will kill you. Currently if you place an order of $75 or more before 11/02/08; you will get free shipping.

If you are having a problem finding high gluten flower, look for Vital Wheat Gluten. Hodgson Mills brand is the one that I use, and is generally found on most supermarket shelves located in the flour section; but sometimes it will be located in the organic section of your store. You just add 4 teaspoons per loaf. So if your recipe states it will make 2 loaves you add 8 teaspoons.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Buck36

Thanks to everyone for the help! I am excited to make some pizzas.

Habanero Smoker

Buck;

King Arthur has a 20% discount on many of their flours, and SL is one of them. You wind up saving about $1.40 per bag. That will help off set some of the shipping. Shipping is $6.50 for orders up to $15.00; and $8.00 for orders $15.01 - $30.00.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 04, 2008, 01:51:36 AM
Buck;

King Arthur has a 20% discount on many of their flours, and SL is one of them. You wind up saving about $1.40 per bag. That will help off set some of the shipping. Shipping is $6.50 for orders up to $15.00; and $8.00 for orders $15.01 - $30.00.

I was going to post this this morning :)  The sale is only until Thursday.

Buck36

Hab and Deb,

Thanks for the information. I ordered a couple bags and got a pizza peel. If anyone else orders, put "C8FP8" in for the promotion code and get 10% off the order. Found that code online and it worked for my order.

Gizmo

Finnaly whipped up some pizza with the King Arthur Sir Lancelot Flower.  First time making the dough from scratch.  Turned out pretty good for a first timer and using the fastest dough recipe I could find to adapt to the KASL.

Don't laugh at the crude shape, remember it is the taste that counts.
KASL, Sausage, Peperoni, Mushroom, Mozarella, and Hunts Zest and Spicey sauce. 

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

We have made many a pizza the isn't what you may call "normal" Giz...to me...it looks awesome!!! Well done!!!  :)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: La Quinta on November 21, 2008, 08:35:26 PM
We have made many a pizza the isn't what you may call "normal" Giz...to me...it looks awesome!!! Well done!!!  :)

I agree with LQ, Giz! Looks great to me!  ;)
Like NePas says... the only thing missing in that picture is me! I'd be all over that bad boy!
Ya... now... can I get 2 XL's for delivery?  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

deb415611

Giz,

That looks awesome!!!

Deb

westexasmoker

Now I want pizza!

Looks great!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!