Paula Deen's fried chicken (kicked up)

Started by pensrock, January 25, 2009, 10:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowgirl

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 26, 2009, 03:35:11 PM
Quote from: cowgirl on January 26, 2009, 10:30:15 AM
Quote from: pensrock on January 25, 2009, 01:43:12 PM
Thats a landlocked striper I caught a couple years ago. I would love to catch a few more. It was great eating around the campfire that evening.

Fishing and camping..... 8) 8)
I have spring fever so bad, not sure how I'm going to make it throught the rest of winter. lol

Well, there's always them high falutin' 0 deg or less sleeping bags!  Or did what Survivorman did the other day - dug a snow cave!  Now that would be hard core spring fever to go to that degree of trouble!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'

Caneyscud.....I'm not that tuff.....I'd freeze.  ;D

cowgirl

Quote from: pensrock on January 26, 2009, 04:05:25 PM
Cowgirl, How can you be tired of winter? I did not think Oklahoma had a winter season.  ???

QuoteI wish you hadn't brought up Stripers - have had to turn down two trips in the last 3 weeks.  Both times, they laid into the 15 - 20 lb hybrids.  Good bite going on right now and man am I getting a ribbing turning down some good trips!

Man I do not think I could turn down a chance to fish for stripers. The one I caught was only about 14# but it was fun.

It gets cold enough here Pens..... It's the only thing that keeps me from going fishing and camping during the winter.  :) ;D

pensrock

QuoteIt gets cold enough here Pens..... It's the only thing that keeps me from going fishing and camping during the winter.

I guess not cold enough for ICE fishing?  ;D ;D

Well bundle up and stay warm, spring is coming. I hope.  ;D

cowgirl

Quote from: pensrock on January 27, 2009, 01:32:13 AM
QuoteIt gets cold enough here Pens..... It's the only thing that keeps me from going fishing and camping during the winter.

I guess not cold enough for ICE fishing?  ;D ;D

Well bundle up and stay warm, spring is coming. I hope.  ;D

I'm bundled.  ;D ;D

Kummok

Some nice looking yardbird, Pens! I'm still waiting for enough snow to go out and get the wild flyers and you guys are already talkin' Spring....knock that off and help me pray for 3-4' of wet snow and a freeze up here!!  ;)

Cowgirl, ya gotta drop the reins for a minute and add the thumb throttle to your resume...adds a whole new dimension to the winter, opens up new hunting grounds and doesn't involve any curry combs at the end of the ride!

cowgirl

Kummok, now that looks like fun!!  8) ;D

Kummok

The ridin' and huntin' is fun but the best part is the servin' and eatin' !!  Been a lot of guests experience "ptarmigan conversion" at our dinner table!  ;)  (The secret is baking soda therapy and Wild Alaskan Silver Sage)

pensrock

Kummok,
  I think we are getting your snow this year. More snow than we have had for several years. I got about 18" on the ground and they are calling for 6-12" more tonight and tomorrow. It depends on where the snow/ice line is. No ice = 12", Ice = 6-8". I'm hoping for NO ICE!
  The snowmobilers are very happy this year, the last few years they did not get used very much. I'm still hoping for one BIG storm, 30-36". Haven't had one of them in a long time.
  I think I'll send some of this snow down to cowgirl, they could use a little winter down there.  ;) ;D
pens

Kummok

Pretty crazy snow-wise here in our area, Pens.....went HIKING on some snowmobile trails over the weekend to check out ptarmigan status. SE Alaska is getting pounced on be we are still in a snow drought at the moment.....

cowgirl

Kummok, that wild sage sounds great...

Pens, you can keep the snow... Brrrrrrr.....  ;D

Kummok

Quote from: cowgirl on January 27, 2009, 07:51:00 PM

It's fresh picked near Chitna, AK in the Fall, dried, and seems stronger than anything I've used prior to discovering it.....PM a mailing address and I'll send a sample....looking at your blog recipes/photos, I know that I won't need to tell you how to use it!!

cowgirl

Quote from: Kummok on January 28, 2009, 11:04:17 AM
Quote from: cowgirl on January 27, 2009, 07:51:00 PM

It's fresh picked near Chitna, AK in the Fall, dried, and seems stronger than anything I've used prior to discovering it.....PM a mailing address and I'll send a sample....looking at your blog recipes/photos, I know that I won't need to tell you how to use it!!

Kummok, Thank you so much for the offer!   I am wondering...is it similar to the wild sage that grows around my area? 

Here is a link with a picture....about the middle of the page.   http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/07/venison-sausage-and-morel-stuffed.html

Kummok

Looks like the same plant to me! Think of all the postage we just saved, (not to mention raising suspicions at the USPS for possible mailing of wacky t'backy!)  :o ;)

BTW, since mine was grown in Alaska, it must be waaaay bigger than anything grown in TX!  8) (Opps! Gonna be in trouble w/ WTS for THAT one!)

Caneyscud

Not actually the same plant - same family by not likely the same plant.  Both are Artemisia's and both closely related to Artemisia Absinthia (sp) of Absinthium or commonly called wormwood (the liquor that drives people crazy - supposedly but no evidence) fame.  The one in western US is artemisia ludoviciana or White Sage among lots of other common names.  It is not a true 'sage".  The likely candidate of the Alaska plant is Artemisia Alaskana (Alaskan Wormwood), however it could be a few others.  White Sage is widely used as a natural medicine for a wide variety of purposes including for horses.  Pretty strongly flavored - usually quite bitter.   Have not heard but of a few uses of it as a food product - I think there was some sort of candy made of it or flavored by it and as a tea - both probably for medicinal purposes!  It shouldn't hurt you, but might be unpleasant.  Having said that, I'm wondering if we have any left from our foraging in Wyoming.  I'd like to try the taste myself - the absinthe type is rather strongly anise flavored.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire' 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Kummok

Dang! Guess I can't use the ol' "If it looks like a sage and walks like a sage" excuse on this one, CS. I CAN however, claim ignorance since I didn't conduct proper herbology background research before postulating the "looks like the same plant" hypothesis...... Unfortunately, I can't seem to find images to ID the stuff I use, but the USDA website provides the following classification info for your Artemisia Alaskana suggestion:

Classification:     Artemisia alaskana Rydb.

Kingdom           Plantae – Plants
Subkingdom   Tracheobionta – Vascular plants
Superdivision   Spermatophyta – Seed plants
Division           Magnoliophyta – Flowering plants
Class                   Magnoliopsida – Dicotyledons
Subclass           Asteridae
Order                   Asterales
Family           Asteraceae – Aster family
Genus           Artemisia L. – sagebrush
Species           Artemisia alaskana Rydb. – Alaska wormwood

Looking at the USDA provided images, it looks a lot like the images showing artemisia cana, (as well as several other of the 125 species images.  :o )  After looking through all this, I'm thinking that I'll just stick w/ 'Wild Alaskan Silver Sage' and keep eating it ...... something about knowing too much about a thing makes it not so attractive w/o the beauty of the mystery....kinda like looking a starry night next to an astronomer!  ;)