Paula Deen's fried chicken (kicked up)

Started by pensrock, January 25, 2009, 10:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowgirl

Folks down here call it sagebrush...might not be the same as yours....but we use the young leaves for cooking, especially when camping.  They are tasty. :)

Caneyscud

Yep, Kummok, you just found out that the Artemisia family is rather large and diverse, but it has been one of the more useful plants over the years.  Tarragon is an artemisia as well as Southerwood.  We have one around here that grows usually in disturbed ground - artemisia annua - commonly called Sweet Annie - sometimes called Dog Fleabane by the oldtimers as it supposedly repels fleas.  Back when the wife and I were harvesting, drying, and selling dried flowers in our spare time, I used to collect truckloads of this stuff.  Very aromatic, but a nasty flavor.  I guess one shouldn't expect something that would repel fleas to taste good!  ;D  And unlike most artemisias, this one is an annual and is chartreuse rather than silver.  Cowgirl, over time some have made selections of your 'sages' and made them into well-loved perenniels - Silver Queen, Silver Mound, and Silver King Artemisias being three.  Beautiful plants, they just glow at night in the moonlight,  but can be invasive - so not good in a small garden. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Kummok

Interesting stuff, sage!! While looking over the USDA info, I was led to a site that briefly describes their supposed medicinal uses....silver sages are reputed to be cancer foes. I DO know that it adds flavor to the many dishes I serve and, who knows, might even keep my leukemia at bay and allow me to die of acute baldness instead?!?!? :-\

Caneyscud

Know whatcha mean - always looking for something to help keep my diabetes at bay as well - however, I do stop at Lizard Spit though!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'

Kummok

Hmmmmm....smoked lizard spit?!?!? Wonder what kinda brine to use??  ;)

westexasmoker

Quote from: Kummok on January 30, 2009, 07:19:58 PM
Hmmmmm....smoked lizard spit?!?!? Wonder what kinda brine to use??  ;)

Tequilla!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Kummok

Caneyscud

Not if you put it in the freezer first!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'