Paula Deen's fried chicken (kicked up)

Started by pensrock, January 25, 2009, 10:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

I did not do any smoke on this. But wanted to try it since it was posted it on here a while back by Mrs. Seemore. I had to modify the recipe some to try to kick it up a little.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Paula Deen's Southern Fried Chicken:
One 2 1/2 pound chicken, cut up
3 eggs
1 c hot sauce (we like Louisiana)
2 c flour
Paula Deen's house seasoning

Combine the hot sauce with the eggs.  Sprinkle the chicken with her house seasoning,
and then dunk in the hot sauce/egg mixture. 
Dredge the chicken in the flour and fry at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or so.
________________________________________________________________________________
I cut up three boneless chicken breasts instead of using a whole chicken.
From what I understand it is best to allow the chicken rest a little while after taking out of the flour and before frying. I guess it allows the egg mixture to soak up some flour and it sticks better, seemed to work well for me.
I used Franks XTRA Hot sauce. Added some cayenne pepper and chipotle to the sauce and also the flour along with some salt. I also added 1/4 Cup corn starch to the flour, I guess it helps things crisp up. (According to what I saw on the TV)  :) (NOT my inner Hazel coming out!)  ;D
It came out great, but could use more heat. But dipped into Icemans sauce it is really good.  ;D

deb415611

Pens that looks so awesome.  I was going to do some sliders next weekend but now I'm not so sure  :-\ . 

Smoking Duck

That looks real good, Pens!  However, embrace your inner Hazel!  Women love a man that can be strong but also show a sweet, sensitive side  ;D  While your friends may make fun of you, you'll be enjoying the love of a good woman and they'll be home watching infomercials.  Now, I'm just as big a fan as Billy Mays as the next guy, but given a choice................ ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 25, 2009, 11:09:21 AM
That looks real good, Pens!  However, embrace your inner Hazel!  Women love a man that can be strong but also show a sweet, sensitive side  ;D 

Geez SD - I can't let Kent read this post or I will never win the Saffron argument.   ;D    My son is now on my side though.  The boy knows where the food comes from & usually sides with me. 

deb415611

Quote from: deb415611 on January 25, 2009, 11:15:16 AM
That looks real good, Pens!  However, embrace your inner Hazel!  Women love a man that can be strong but also show a sweet, sensitive side  ;D 

Geez SD - I can't let Kent read this post or I will never win the Saffron argument.   ;D    My son is now on my side though.  The boy knows where the food comes from & usually sides with me. 

On second thought maybe I should have him read the post.  Then he might be ok with the name.

HCT

Holy Kentucky Fried pens, that looks great. Now I have to get down to my freezer in search of some bird. :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smokin Soon

Pens, I've done that recipe 3 times and cannot get much heat. I thing the deep fry kills it somehow.

pensrock

Deb, HCT... its real easy to do. If I can.... you certainly can.  :) I'm really glad I tried this, now I can adjust the spices to make it my own. Make sure to add spices to the flour mix, it really needs something. I added cayenne, chipotle and salt, but only a little. Next time there will be many more spices added to the flour.

SD....
Quoteembrace your inner Hazel!
::) ;D  ;D
I think I'll embrace my inner Steeler 'D' instead.  ;D

Smokin Soon, I will get the heat level up, believe me, if more heat is needed I can do it.  ;D
Actually dipping the boneless fried chicken into Icemans sauce was fantastic.
Next time I'll be adding more cayenne powder to the flour, along with a few other spices.
The chicken was very moist and tasty but the batter definitely needed more taste.
I'll come up with my own 11 herbs and spices to kick it up even more, even if I have to add powdered NAGA pepper, it will be HOT! I may even take some hot sauce and inject the sections of meat before breading.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: deb415611 on January 25, 2009, 11:20:59 AM
Quote from: deb415611 on January 25, 2009, 11:15:16 AM

Tell him he's got a choice of Saffron or Hazel..........while Hazel is a cool name, he'll see the beauty of Saffron  ;D

On second thought maybe I should have him read the post.  Then he might be ok with the name.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

cowgirl

Pensrock, your chicken looks excellent! Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to give it a try.  :)

seemore

Pens, you ROCK!  That chicken is da bomb!!!
As it so happens, I will be frying up some Paula Deen's chicken tonight, and I happen to have Frank's Hot Sauce on hand....
We are going to have that with West Texas Smoker's mashed potato salad.
Now, don't take this the wrong way, but those are nice-looking breasts!!! :o

seemore

By the way, this is MRS, not Mr Seemore!!!  ;)

cowgirl

That looks real good, Pens!  However, embrace your inner Hazel! Women love a man that can be strong but also show a sweet, sensitive side  ;D While your friends may make fun of you, you'll be enjoying the love of a good woman and they'll be home watching infomercials.  Now, I'm just as big a fan as Billy Mays as the next guy, but given a choice................ ;D

LOL! You are very wise Smoking Duck.  ;D

pensrock

QuoteNow, don't take this the wrong way, but those are nice-looking breasts!!!
Your not looking at that bacon bra pic are you MR. Seemore?  ;D ;D

I would highly suggest adding some spices to the flour, I added some but it could have used more.
The CHICKEN breasts were very moist and tasted great. I thought they may dry out but the breading kept in the moisture. I fried them for 13 minutes.
Have a great dinner.

pensrock

QuotePensrock, your chicken looks excellent! Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to give it a try.
Anytime cowgirl. I actually have been wanting to try to make your smoked pork egg rolls and the Cajun Shrimp and Cabbage casserole. They looked great on your blog site.