Pickled Eggs

Started by NePaSmoKer, March 09, 2009, 10:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Taking a break from smoking for a few days so I decided to do something different. I made some pickled eggs. Boiled all my eggs and peeled. Boiled the vinegar and spices, and added just a smidgen of liquid hickory smoke  ;D

Here is what a smidgen looks like  :D

And the finished eggs. Going in the fridge for a few days  ;D

nepas

Mr Walleye

Mmmmmm Pickled Eggs.  :P

Looks great NePas and thanks for sharing.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Looks pretty darn good Nepas. If one is a smidgen what are the other two?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 09, 2009, 11:01:04 AM

That would be a pinch and a dash  ;D

nepas

Mr Walleye

If it's more than 2 is it a "Flock of Smidgens" ?  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HCT

I made Hab's recipe about 2 weeks ago. I made 3 dozen, 18 with the regular recipe and 18 with some liguid smoke added. Both came out great and they are addictive. I can't go a day without popping 2-3-4 of the dang things. :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: HCT on March 09, 2009, 01:00:54 PM
I made Hab's recipe about 2 weeks ago. I made 3 dozen, 18 with the regular recipe and 18 with some liguid smoke added. Both came out great and they are addictive. I can't go a day without popping 2-3-4 of the dang things. :D :D

I'm holding off for Easter, then visit my relatives and go Easter egg hunting. :) Seriously that is what I do, I get the hard boiled eggs that are left over. It does make for some interesting pickled eggs if the shell is cracked, the dye seeps in and color gets on the egg. I think I may try the liquid smoke, instead of cold smoking them first.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roadking

When the wife puts up pickled beets I use some of her pickle for the eggs. Deep red pickled eggs and a cold one. Yum yum

Smokin Soon

That pic takes my breath away, as I have not seen beautiful pickled eggs like that since I left northern Michigan 30 years ago. Does not exist in Cal. I gotta do that. Even the jar reminds me of my old bartending
days there, every bar had there own version of a pickled egg. I just have to try that. How long do they keep?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on March 09, 2009, 09:59:04 PM
That pic takes my breath away, as I have not seen beautiful pickled eggs like that since I left northern Michigan 30 years ago. Does not exist in Cal. I gotta do that. Even the jar reminds me of my old bartending
days there, every bar had there own version of a pickled egg. I just have to try that. How long do they keep?

Thanks SS

They only gotta keep for 3 days. I'm going to make some red beet eggs today for the Mrs.

nepas

Roadking

Nepas,

I'm getting these taste in my mouth. Large green cherry peppers with a peice of Andouille Sausage and Provolone cheese in the pepper. Then pickle them in the mason jar.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 09, 2009, 12:27:08 PM

If it's more than 2 is it a "Flock of Smidgens" ?  ::)

Mike

And if i had a statue in the front yard i would have smidgen poop all over it  :D  :D  ;D

nepas

Carter

Hi Bradley Forum,

I haven't posted in awhile as I haven't been smoking much lately.  It's not for lack of interest, just time these days - and a very snowy winter.

Anyways, I've just recently discovered pickled eggs.  I bought them at the grocery store as an experiment to see what they are like.  I love them.

Now this post.  Man they look good.

Is there an official recipe for these around or do you just make it up?

Just curious if there's some sort of guideline out there because I think I just found my weekend project.

Thanks in advance.

Carter

NePaSmoKer

Here is my pickled egg recipe.

PICKLED EGGS

2 c. white vinegar
  2 tsp. sugar
  1 tsp. salt
  1 clove garlic or 1 tsp diced garlic from a jar
  1 tsp. pickling spice
  1 sliced onion (opt)
  2 tsp. mustard seeds (whole) (opt)
  5 small peppers (opt)
  1 qt mason jar

Boil 12 eggs until done. Cool eggs by running cold water on them, Peel. Then place eggs in a mason jar. Combine all ingredients  except eggs and boil 5 minutes. then pour over hard cooked eggs. Keep refrigerated

Ready to eat in 1 day. For stronger pickled taste leave in fridge for 5 days. Shake bottle a few times during the 5 days. You can also use a can of red beet juice in them.

nepas

Roadking

I'll bet you never reach the 5 days. They would be gone in 2 days around here.