Wild Boar

Started by Kane, May 27, 2009, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane

Im finally gonna smoke this 10lb hind quarter I got.  Ill most likely use apple pucks but I have a box of these Jim Beam pucks and Im thinking about trying em. Has anyone used these for pulled pork yet? results?

OU812

Have not seen the Jim Beam pucks in my area yet but what I have herd is they are white oak. Have not seen the Crown Royal eather but I think they are white oak also. Oak is good with about anything.   IMO

DaBeef2112

I used the Crown Royal to cold smoke some steaks last weekend before I grilled it and it tasted excellent. Can't say for sure if it's any different the the regular oak yet because I haven't tried it. I really couldn't taste any Whisky in the final product and I drink a lot of Whisky...   ;D

I have some JB pucks as well but I haven't tried them yet. Maybe this weekend?

OU812 is right, JB and CR are both aged in Charred White Oak.

FLBentRider

I've used them on pork. Not bad. The flavoring of the JB is just barely there.

The last wild boar I shot was very lean. I'm not sure how well it would pull.

Have you done wild boar pulled pork before ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

MMMMMMMMMM...oak smoke and steaks!
Major slobber drool!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Kane

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 27, 2009, 01:11:06 PM
I've used them on pork. Not bad. The flavoring of the JB is just barely there.

The last wild boar I shot was very lean. I'm not sure how well it would pull.

Have you done wild boar pulled pork before ?

no, Ive never done any Wild Boar so Im kinda flying blind here.  Some suggestions were made that I do a ham but Id rather not.  Any suggestions?

My plan was cover in bacon and slow roast at 220 to internal temp of like 190 but Im not sure

Smokin Soon

I've never done one that big, but I have Injected a few with Cajun Injector stuff knowing that they will need the moisture.
http://www.cajuninjector.com/cajun-injector-marinades.html
I like the Creole Butter myself for pork. Boars will never be the same as the meat varies by the age of the animal. If it is a lean one some like to brine, it makes it too salty for my taste. I will try to predict the final 2 hours and wrap in foil with Applejuice, Orange Soda, or whatever is on hand. Had one that was a slicer instead of a puller no matter what you did with it. Tasted pretty good though!

FLBentRider

I brine domestic butts, I would probably brine a wild one too.

Maybe not a bacon wrap - I like my bark - but a pound of bacon in the rack above.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

I have never done a wild boar myself but have done wild turkey which is very lean also and have done it the Cajun Injector, Creole Butter with great success.

The Creole Butter has great flavor.

Maybe mop it, after the smoke, every hr for 5 or 6 hr then foil it till its close to the final temp then unwrap and finish up to get the bark back.

Good luck

NePaSmoKer

1. Maintain a low cooking temperature
2. Maximize moisture retention in the meat.

I keep my cooking temperature around 200°F - 225°F. The goal is to slowly raise the internal temperature of the meat to 180°F and then hold it there for about an hour. "Slow and low". Cooking time will be about 1.5 – 2 hours per pound of meat, but can vary based on thickness and whether or not it's bone-in or bone-out. Wild boar is leaner than domesticated pig, darker meat and kinda fiberous.

Covering the meat with fatty bacon or other fats while it cooks is another technique. This is typically used on very lean meats that lack sufficient natural fat so the bacon acts as a substitute. This is a great way to add fat and moisture during the cooking process.

Once the meat has smoked for a few hours and absorbed a sufficient quantity of smoke flavor the meat can be tightly wrapped in foil. This wrap will reduce moisture evaporation into the open air and keep the juices close to the meat (acting more like a braise than BBQ). It's also a great way to capture the juices for use in a sauce. If you want a crispy exterior (a "bark") then don't use a foil wrap and cook a little longer. If you want some insurance on getting a tender, moist final product then use the wrap.

Use Oak or hickory.

This is OPT

If you want smoke flavor use your smoker for the first 1 - 2 hours to infuse some smoke flavor into the meat. Then finish the cooking in the oven. Heat your oven to 200°F - 225°F. Wrap the meat in foil. Put it in the oven until done. About 1.5 - 2 hours per pound.

nepas

Caneyscud

Exactly as Nepas said, except one other option is to mop (baste a few times while cooking) to maintain moisture during the smoke and don't want the bacon flavor. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Kane

thanks guys,

so I should only hit it with 2 hours of smoke? I was thinking 4 hours like a Boston butt. So if I do the wrapped foil thing in the oven will this meat "pull" or shred for buns?

Smokin Soon

It all depends on the pig. It might just fall apart or some minor chopping involved. It will be DELISH anyway! We have all learned to recover our overcooks with sauce and our undercooks with chopping. I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Kane

Thanks,

I injected some pineapple juice in it and let it sit over night. I just hit it with Icemans rub and have it on the kitchen counter coming up to room temp. Will be in the smoker soon

Kane

And if ya liked the first pic you will love the 2nd!!!