Finally cool enough to try "MY FIRST SMOKED CHEESE"

Started by classicrockgriller, November 04, 2009, 06:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I've had some cheese in fridge waiting for the time that it would be cool enough to smoke.

Woke up early this morning for some reason and walked outside and found out what
the reason was. 45 degrees and dry. CHEESE TIME!!!

(2) Queso Munster, (2) Rat Trap, Colby Jack, Mild Cheddar, Cream Cheese

(2) Colby, Colby Jack, (2) Queso Quesadilla, Montery Jack w/Jalapeno

(3) Montery Jack, (2) Jalapeno Queso

(2( Mild Cheddar, Mozzarella, sliced Pepperoni

classicrockgriller

I hope to be able to smoke for 4 hrs with apple before it gets too warm.

I flipped and rotated (I just can't help myself) at the 1 1/2 hr mark just incase I don't get to go that long.

Tenpoint5

two hours of smoke should be more than enough CRG maybe three
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

I'll be happy if I get three. I am at the two hr mark and cabinet temp is around 85.....looks good.

KyNola

I usually go for 3 hours on cheese.  CRG, don't forget you can crack the door open to help hold the temp down or do like I did one time.  I actually opened the door and fanned it for a minute or so to cool the tower down.  There's going to be plenty of smoke, trust me.

Have fun my friend.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Am a happy camper so far. I got 3:20 of smoke on the cheese before I shut it down.

I nibbled on a piece and thought it tasted good. Can't wait to have a smoked grill cheese sandwich.

Now cool down time and will vac seal for the waiting period.

westexasmoker

Thats some good looking cheese CRG.....Now the hard part, waiting!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

I like Caney, the dang stars are just not lining up for me right now. I ordered a cold smoke
adaptor on Sat, finguring it would be here by Friday. I had just posted the pic of the smoked
cheese and a knock at the door.........

Geez.....

westexasmoker

Ain't that the way it always works!  Time to go get some more cheese CRG!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

ArnieM

Looks good CRG.  Certainly the right idea, load up the smoker.  I've found that when smoking a chicken, the pucks cost more than the chicken!

I have limited experience, but like the result better when the cabinet temp is 80-90 degrees.  It seems to me that the cheese doesn't take as much smoke when done really cold.  Nicer flavor and color when done at the higher temp.  

Yeah, I flipped and rotated too.  The racks can leave a nice pattern on the cheese.

I'm glad you got your cold smoker just in time for winter.  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

CRG,
Here's a hint for you on your cold smoke adapter.  Try connecting your smoke generator to it instead of smoking all those cigars that are shown in the picture laying next to it.  I can just see you laying next to the adapter, drawing on a cigar and blowing the smoke in the adapter!  :D :D

KyNola 

classicrockgriller

Arnie, I bought the cold smoker for the adaptor plate. ;D

KyNola, thinging of some way I can hook up a gas mask like Habs, then I will be happy.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 04, 2009, 08:53:01 AM

'Rat Trap'  ???

When I was younger only people that bought rat trap cheese was poor and people that had rats.

We didn't have rats, but I ate a lot of rat trap cheese. It was hard, sharp, full of gaps (air holes).
Todays version is nothing more than a name, part of that is for the wedge shape. It is a cheddar.