Finally cool enough to try "MY FIRST SMOKED CHEESE"

Started by classicrockgriller, November 04, 2009, 06:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Everybody got vac-sealed and put to rest for awhile.

A couple of guestions. I know the low end of waiting is ten days, what is the high end or is there one.

Pens, what the longest you have left your cheese vac.

When it is ready, I want cut this cheese up and give several sections away to family. I wll cut up and revac seal.

Thanks.

FLBentRider

I've got some from last December / January that is still sealed and still rockin'!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 04, 2009, 12:44:08 PM
I've got some from last December / January that is still sealed and still rockin'!

Wow! Kewl, maybe it last forever. I know the young man that stocks the cheese and he went to the back room and got me some that just came in and exp dates were like dec 2010 and jan 2011.

Do you think there is a maxtime when the smoke won't penetrate anymore?

Thanks FBR.

FLBentRider

I'm sure there is a time when the smoke flavor has been evenly distributed in the cheese and then no more flavor movement will take place.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

QuotePens, what the longest you have left your cheese vac.

Several months, with no problem. I think after a month or so you will not see any difference in taste. I like a min of two weeks, but have used it in as little as 7-10 days.

classicrockgriller

Thanks FBR and pens. I will have to eat some (for quality control) in a cpl weeks, but is nice to know I can let flavor set real good before giving it away.

KyNola

Same here.  Just opened a pac that was done 10 months ago.  Last of it so I went to Sam's last weekend and loaded up with 10 pounds of Cabot's white cheddar and around 6 pounds of Gouda to replenish the supply.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

OU812

Looks gooood CRG, real gooood.

I have found some colby jack in the back of the fridge (in the man room) that was almost a year old and it tasted just fine. Didnt know it was back there till I cleaned the fridge. Heck its my fridge and I'll clean it when I want to, the wife is afraid to open it cause she never knows what might be in there.

I was wondering how the cream cheese fared, no melting I hope.

classicrockgriller

Nope. did good actually. That bottom rack went to the top half way thru. Have you ever smoked cream cheese?

Quarlow

Holy crap 10 months to a year. Those vac's must be sucking them down to near zero oxygen. That is amazing. That cream cheese sounds real good. I am going to see if a higher temp will infuse more smoke flavour for me. Man I love this forum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Hopefull Romantic

I agree with Arnie. Load up the tower when you smoke.

Great cheese CRG, when time comes try them with a Merlot you will be surprised.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

Age - I've heard a theory that the smoke helps keep it.  Between the smoke and a vac seal, it'll probably last a long time.

Cream cheese - I'm going to try some next time.  I was thinking of putting it on a lightly oiled screen on a rack toward the front of the OBS.  I'll probably wait until it's in the 30's outside.  That stuff gets pretty soft just sitting on the counter when it's 65 in here.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Arnie, I kept it to the front ang was surprised that there was NO sticking, getting caught in the rack.

A few of the thinner cheeses did that, the cream cheese did not. A cpl of the smaller pieces were a
mexican milk cheese, (the 4 pieces of Queso and they held up well)